The Bermuda Shipping and Maritime Authority (BSMA) maintains a high quality international ship register which takes pride in the high standard of its fleet and works to provide support and value to its customers.
The Authority is certified to ISO:9000:2015 standard.
The Bermuda ship register accepts:
- Vessels on the main register
- Vessels registered on the demise register with the underlying registry in another jurisdiction and the ship flying the Bermuda flag (demise ‘in’)
- Vessels registered on the demise register with the underlying registry in Bermuda and the ship flying the flag of another state (demise ‘out’).
The demise register can be a valuable option for owners as it allows separation between the register of title and encumbrances, and the flag jurisdiction which can be beneficial for commercial reasons.
Registry in Bermuda associates an owner and their financiers with:
- A strong and clear legal system based on UK maritime law
- A jurisdiction which is stable politically
- Clear positions on the priority of mortgages
- A British flag – part of the Red Ensign Group
- Registry transactions may be conducted 24 hours/day to suit time zones for all parties
- A quality flag that is on the Paris and Tokyo MOU “White Lists” for port state control and that provides prompt technical support
The Bermuda Shipping and Maritime Authority (Authority) is committed to maintaining a high quality ship registry through its registration, survey, certification and regulatory activities. The Authority is committed to ensuring all Bermuda registered vessels and seafarers comply with all National and International (5.2.1(c)) Safety, Security, Environmental and Labour requirements.
This Quality Policy provides the framework for establishing our Quality Objectives (5.2.1(b)) and processes; and the implementation of regular monitoring and review of the effectiveness of the Quality Management System for the purpose of continual improvement (5.2.1(d)) and supporting the strategic direction (5.2.1(a)) of the Authority.