The Bermuda Ship Registry is a quality international registry which takes pride in the high standards of its ships and works to support its customers. The Authority is certified to the ISO:9000:2008 standard and its policy is stated as:
The Bermuda Shipping and Maritime Authority is committed to being a high quality shipping register and maritime administration that will consistently provide a high standard of service, information, and support to its customers in support of their businesses while ensuring that Bermuda ships meet all international requirements. In achieving this it will continuously review its performance and seek to improve those services and support while growing the register for the benefit of Bermuda.
The registry accepts:
- Vessels on the main register
- Vessels registered on the demise register with the underlying registry in another jurisdiction subject to the agreement of that other state.
- Vessels on the main register but demise registered out to another flag subject to the agreement of the other flag.
The demise register options are valuable for owners in allowing a separation between the register of title and encumbrances and the flag jurisdiction when this is helpful for commercial operations.
Registry in Bermuda associates an owner and his financiers with:
- A strong and clear legal system based on UK maritime law.
- A jurisdiction which is stable politically,
- Clear positions on the priority of mortgages.
- A British flag – part of the Red Ensign Group ,
- A registry that is available 24 hours/day when required to ensure that transactions take place to suit time zones for all parties.
- A quality flag that is at the very top of the Paris MOU “White List” for port state control and which is highly regarded everywhere.